The top X reasons I don’t want to be on your top X blogs list
This has been left in my drafts folder for a couple of years at least. I wrote a post on the top X blogs meme a couple of years back when I had delisted my blog from Google. What surprises me is that it’s still going. My guess is that no one reads the posts apart from the bloggers, so if you’re a new blogger you’ll not know how old the scam is and be chuffed that someone has included your blog.
Still it continues so here’s my list of reasons why I don’t want to be on a top X blogs list.
- You don’t have any interest in the blogs you list, your blog is just a series of blog lists.
- You don’t have any interest in the topic either.
- …and that’s why your list is a mix of good and dire blogs.
- You don’t care about the quality of your lists.
- …because if someone links to it to criticise it, you have a link and that’s all that matters.
- You’re using my name on what is effectively just an advert, which might be competing against my university.
- …and you sometimes send stroppy emails if I don’t l link to your advert.
- Not only do your lists give spurious credibility to some cranks…
- …they also ignore genuinely good blogs that deserve far more attention than mine.
- And finally, putting me on your list marks me out as the kind of person who’s going to fall for the same stunt that you’ve already pulled X times.
But the thing that most annoys me is that despite all this, if I’m told I’m listed there’s still a 50% chance I’ll look to see who else is listed despite knowing it’s a scam. Curse my narcissism.
Posted to clear something from my drafts folder after a tweet by @threepipeblog.